FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
April 24, 2018
For The Record: McCaskill’s Partisanship Likely to Continue with Pompeo
With enough votes to confirm President Trump’s pick for Secretary of State, Mike Pompeo, it now seems even more likely Senator Claire McCaskill will cast her vote in opposition.
Senator McCaskill blindly supported the foreign policy decisions of President Barack Obama and Secretary of State Hillary Clinton on Syria, Iran, and North Korea that made the world less safe. Now, at a time when the United States is facing major threats, the Senator is playing politics and it begs the question of why:
- Senator McCaskill has already supported Pompeo for one position, so why is she silent on how she will vote for Secretary of State?
- Is it because she has a vendetta against President Trump?
- Is it because she is worried about what her liberal out-of-state donor base will do if she votes the right way?
It only takes a quick look at her record to know partisan liberal Senator McCaskill’s obstruction is unlikely to stop here…
- McCaskill Supported Both Of Obama’s Secretary Of State Nominees:
- McCaskill Voted For Confirmation Of Hillary Clinton To Serve As Secretary Of State. (PN64-1, “Confirmation Hillary Rodham Clinton, of New York, to be Secretary of State,” Confirmed 94-2, McCaskill Voted YEA, 1/21/09)
- McCaskill Voted For Confirmation Of John Kerry To Serve As Secretary Of State. (PN42, “Confirmation John Forbes Kerry, of Massachusetts, to be Secretary of State,” Confirmed 94 – 3, McCaskill Voted YEA, 1/29/13)
- McCaskill Voted Against The Confirmation Of Rex Tillerson To Serve As Secretary Of State:
- McCaskill Voted Against The Confirmation Of Rex Tillerson To Serve As Secretary Of State. (PN25, Roll Call Vote #36: Confirmed: 56-43, 2/1/17, McCaskill Voted Nay)
- McCaskill effusively praised H.R. McMaster’s appointment as National Security Advisor, but was one of ten Senators to vote against letting him keep his rank while he served as Trump’s National Security Advisor. “Lt. Gen. Herbert R. McMaster, Jr., in the Army, to be Lieutenant General.” (PN87, Roll Call Vote #90: Confirmed 86-10, 3/15/17, McCaskill Voted Nay)
- McCaskill voted to confirm Mike Pompeo as CIA Director and said we shouldn’t fool around with the needs of our intelligence community. (Vote #32, “Confirmation Mike Pompeo, of Kansas, to be Director of the Central Intelligence Agency,” Confirmed 66 – 32, McCaskill Voted YEA, 1/23/17)
- She is now unsure if she’ll back Pompeo, even though the State Department has crucial intelligence-related duties…
- McCaskill falsely claimed that one of Hillary Clinton’s accomplishments was laying the groundwork for getting chemical weapons out of Syria. (PolitiFact, 6/4/14)
- In 2013, regarding chemical weapons, McCaskill said Putin was doing the “right thing” in Syria. (Fox News, “Fox News Sunday,” 9/22/13)
- McCaskill said Hillary Clinton did a “terrific job” as Secretary of State. (ABC News, Remarks On ABC’s “This Week,” 8/16/15) (2:02 – 2:44)
- McCaskill praised President Obama’s apology tour and said that America has been “arrogant sometimes.” (Fox News, “Fox News Sunday,” 4/19/09)
- In 2009, McCaskill said that the approach Obama was taking to Iran and North Korea was smart. “I think this is a pragmatic president. He’s going to be tough and firm with our enemies, but he also is going to do what’s necessary to reestablish our position in the world as a leading country to be admired.” (Fox News, “Fox News Sunday,” 4/19/09)
- McCaskill said Obama’s disastrous “Iran Deal Is Flawed, But Alternative Is Worse”(Sen. Claire McCaskill, “McCaskill: Iran Deal Is Flawed, But Alternative Is Worse,” Press Release, 8/20/15)