In Jefferson City, the politicians have delivered failure, embarrassment and gridlock, trading favors with special interests rather than standing up for the people of Missouri. That’s why I have an aggressive ethics reform plan to clean up the Capitol and reform the way Jefferson City does business.
My plan would—for the first time in Missouri history—create a public corruption unit to hold public officials accountable for misuse of their offices. In addition to a public corruption unit, my ethics reform plan would prevent public officials from getting rich off the system, increase transparency, attack the pay-to-play politics of Jefferson City and ban lobbyist gifts to employees within the A.G.’s office – a ban that should be extended to the Missouri Legislature.
It’s time to make the political establishment clean up their act and get our government back to serving the people. As Attorney General, I will.
Josh’s Ethics Reform Plan:
- No more getting rich off the system:
– Josh will prohibit all lobbyist gifts to the AG and his staff, and will call on the legislature to do the same.
– No double dipping: you can work for the AG’s office or you can work for outside groups with interests before that office, but not both. Likewise, Josh will call on the legislature to prohibit legislative staff from serving as lobbyists or paid political consultants while legislature is in session.
– Josh will call on the legislature to ban state legislators from lobbying for at least 2 years after leaving office.
- Increase Transparency:
– Require individuals who meet with the AG to promote outside interests to register as lobbyists.
– Josh will end contingency-fee contracts with plaintiffs’ firms unless the AG’s Office first determines such an arrangement is vital to state interests, the contract is competitively bid, and any award strictly limited.
- End Pay to Play
– As AG, Josh will not accept contributions from entities with competitive bids before the state.
– Josh will not accept contributions from individuals or corporations named in an investigation by the state.
– Josh will call on the legislature to bar campaign contributions during the legislative session
– Finally, Josh will create a new Public Corruption Unit to take on the corruption crisis in Jefferson City. This new unit will coordinate and focus law enforcement efforts to root out corruption and prosecute corrupt politicians. The people of Missouri deserve government officials who work for us not themselves. And that’s exactly what Josh will give them.